Journalist rejects 98% of emails – Be the 2%
Journalist and founder Monty Munford spoke recently at a dinner sharing his thoughts and tips on how to secure media coverage for your business. One thing he spoke on was the fact that he rejects 98% of emails that are sent to him.
To be the 2% that makes it through – Monty had these tips for his fellow diners:
- Open with a good reference to what the journalist has written. E.g. I really enjoyed your article on…
- Second paragraph: The product
- Third paragraph: Shall we meet up?
- Send three paragraphs only
- Make the Subject line interesting. (This is crucial for most journalists.) Write a headline for a story to get their attention
- Find out where the journalist goes and what events they attend
- PR is important but for a low budget it’s not worth having as you won’t get the focus you need. Expect to spend at least £3k to make it worthwhile.
- Have a page on your website to your press articles and have the latest story at the top
- You may find a journalist is more likely to publish if the email comes from the CEO
- Figure out the best time to contact them (avoiding high-pressure moments in the press cycle). For Monty, it’s best to contact him between 11am to 1pm (avoid Mondays altogether)