Kim Nilsson, CEO of Pivigo, provided some valuable insight, at Monday night’s dinner, into why companies should be looking at using data to drive their businesses forward. If a company wants to have a competitive advantage tomorrow, they need to start investing in the field of data science today. For a start it’s more efficient, and in some cases, it can generate a boost in sales.
Here is Kim’s list of what companies need in order to start to implement the use of data within their business:
- First and foremost, is the data
- The right tools are also an absolute must
- Data scientists who are trained specialists
- Commitment from the senior management team
- Culture change and acceptance within the business on a whole, and
- Finally, for people within the business to cooperate
With Kim’s firm belief that data is going to revolutionise the world – and why not, there’s an abundance of the stuff just sitting there waiting to be put to work – it’s surprising that most companies aren’t doing it. Her prediction, however, is that in five years time any company that doesn’t have data scientists working their magic will be at a distinct disadvantage.